Budget Crunch

So our wallets just got a bit tighter. I'm sure everyone is feeling the pinch these days, but we got hit pretty good today. My work had their third round of layoffs, and while I am still very very lucky to have my job, other cost cutting measures were necessary to help keep the company afloat. The biggest one affecting our pocketbook is that we are now 100% responsible for our health care premium. For most people in our office its not too bad, for us its a little different since I'm fairly certain having a special needs child has a negative affect on your rates. I'll now have $560 taken out per month (pre tax at least). We can offset it somewhat with eliminating my 401K contribution temporarily, but there's still almost a $350 difference in income. Plus Rachel will probably be off her long term disability very soon which means the old wallet will take another hit. We're okay for now, but long term it doesn't look that great if something doesn't turn around in the next few months. The Disney trip wouldn't be possible if my Mom wasn't partially funding it, and while I know we should probably cut it, we really need the vacation for ourselves and our sanity right now, plus its always good to see my family since they're not close by. Overall I'm just happy I still have a job, just bummed about seeing many of my friends go, and the drama of the ever tightening budget.

Comments

Anonymous said…
We're praying for you! Finances are tough on most of us right now. But with God and the good will of others, you'll make it through!

love in Christ,

Mat and Malia Lehnertz
Unknown said…
This economic situation just keeps getting scarier and scarier. I'm glad you guys are still taking the vacation. Mental sanity and rest for your body are priceless!

Happy almost hump day :o)
~Erin~
J. Grouchy said…
Wow...I heard it from Colin. I hate that you guys are going through this...you three and everyone else over there.

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy St Nicks Day

Surgery Update Numero Tres